Gina Collias is an attorney, mother, wife, businesswoman, and a practicing commercial and residential realtor. Gina and her husband were reared in Charlotte, where they were high school sweethearts. She received her undergraduate degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and her law degree from Mercer University. Gina has been licensed to practice law in both North Carolina and South Carolina for 27 years.
29 years ago, Gina married her wonderful husband who is a family practice physician. They are the proud parents of three children, two creative and intelligent daughters who attend the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and a son who enjoys soccer and Boy Scouts. Gina and her family moved to Cleveland County in 1999 after her husband finished his residency. Just as their parents had taught them, Gina and her husband have instilled the same values of integrity, hard work, and compassion in their children.
After the 2016 presidential election, Gina had a political evolution. Although she had been a proud Republican her whole life, because she is a lawyer and focuses on policies and the importance of the Rule of Law, she was concerned for our country. In 2017, looking for other centrists who shared many of her principles and patriotism, Gina founded the national group Rational Republicans on Facebook, where Republicans, Democrats and Independents have civil political discussions.
In an effort to reform the Republican Party from within, and moreover to give NC District 10 a new opportunity for a powerhouse representative, who will be there to serve the people, rather than just be a go-along-to-get-along career-politician like McHenry, Gina decided to run for the seat in the Republican primary in 2018. Out of six candidates, Gina was the top vote-getter next to him.
In the last year, Gina kept involved in the political discourse and has networked nationally with other concerned and former Republicans, as well as other women in politics. One of Gina’s strongest qualities, besides unstoppable tenacity, is that she follows her inner moral compass, and her values have not changed. Gina is socially progressive and a lot more fiscally conservative than the Republicans in Congress who blew up the national debt and deficit with their irresponsible Tax Act in 2017, that benefited only the top 1% and left behind the other 99% of us.
Moral courage rises from the roots, and Gina’s roots are right here in North Carolina. Fashions, parties, and values have shifted out in the wider world, but across all that time she has been right here in North Carolina, working to support her family and serve her community.
Upon much reflection, Gina accepted that her values, the roots in which she is grounded, are more consistent with today’s Democratic Party. To run again for this House seat, Gina knew that she had to focus on another of her strongest attributes — MORAL COURAGE— so, Gina proudly joined the Democratic Party, and she is ready to get to work for all citizens in NC 10 and to represent you in Washington with your values and your voice.